Monday, February 20, 2012

Problem with performance after leaving SQL Server Express idle for some time

Hi, everyone!

I have this strange problem... After every time my application leaves sql-server idle (doesn't send anything, doesn't retrieve anything) next command to sql-server processes really long.

I've also noticed this bug/feature/misconfiguration even if I open a DB in Management Studio...

Please, could someone tell me, is there any timer that "puts a DB to sleep" if no one is using it for some time? Can I change the way server behaves in this situation?

I saw this problem once long ago when we had to shovel coal into our PC's to make them run.

In our case, the database server was on a dedicated PC. Someone had installed a graphics-intensive screen-saver. Evertime the screen-saver kicked in performance dropped.

Another possibility: Opening a DB connection takes a long time. You may be timing out and getting kicked out of the server.

|||

Thanks for the reply.

Well, that's not screen saver, definitely. I had this problem both on local machine (obviously when screen saver is not running :) ) and on a remote server, but I know for sure what is going on there too.

And as I understood the second possible reason you're saying server kicks me out, but I've set the timeout to pretty big number (before I did that, I actually was kicked out all the time), but now I don't get connection-not-opened exception or anything else like that.

Everything works pretty smooth all the time (like ASP.NET page loads fast, fast postbacks, management studio works fine) until I leave server alone for some time. After that this damn lag happens (for one time, like it's reconnecting to DB or smth like that) and everything works fine again.

|||

Maybe it's not the database but asp.net.

When all sessions end or time out, your application is shut down. See if the Application_End event is raised.

|||No, i don't think so... First of all, I used the same app with MSDE 2000 and didn't have this issue. Second, I see this issue not only when using my asp.net app, but also WinForms app, and even Management Studio (as I think I mentioned in the first post).

No comments:

Post a Comment