Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Problem with Sql Server 2000 error

I am using VWD with Sql Server 2000. My application was running smoothly till I rebooted both my local box and the Machine where sql Server 2000 resides and now I am getting this error:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

like I said before I am using Sql Server 2000 and not 2005. I don't really understand the problem. The application was running smoothly before rebooting it, so I know there is nothing wrong with the code. Maybe I need to start some service within IIS or something.

If anyone has any idea please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi,

I do not have an idea why you catch this error while working with a SQL2K database.

But to enable remote connections, open the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration tool. Then drill down the Services and Connections, open the Database Engine. Then enable remote connections from this configuration tool.

eralper

http://www.kodyaz.com

|||

Could be a number of issues.

First, I rarely let SQL Server use named pipes. I hate them, I force SQL Server to TCP/IP always, unless it's a local connection then shared memory.

A firewall blocking the connection could do it.

Putting in the wrong server name could do it.

Configuring SQL Server to deny remote connections could do it (That is what the error message is saying).

There was a problem with SP2 and SQL Server 2000. Check the SP readme.txt to make sure you've configured it correctly for use with XP SP2.

No comments:

Post a Comment